As part of the standard functionality within the Talent Management module in EP4, the Talent Management Specialist (TMS) role is delivered. Additionally , new portal based iviews are included for use by those who have the TMS role.
Unlike MSS, which reads the A012 relationship to determine who and what a Manager can see inside of MSS, the TMS iviews are driven by a new Relationship – called “Responsible for” (A741). Without a “Responsible for” relationship, a TMS user will not be allowed to see any Talent related data. There is configuration switches that can turn off this security check but by default SAP looks for this relationship within TM applications (Talent Search, Talent Review, 9 Box etc).
Typically to assign a relationship to a Position (or in this case Position to Org Unit – S-O)you would execute PO13 and assign the Position to the Org unit. However, SAP has made special arrangements in EP4 that the Responsible for relationship can only be assigned via a new Transaction – HRTMC_PPOM. This transaction looks a lot like PPOME, except it is focused on Talent related information: Job Families, Functional Areas, Qualifications, Career and Succession planning etc). To assign a user to be :Responsible for the Talent information of another Organization, the Users position must be attached to the Organization. This is a very similar in concept to the HR Administrator assignment, except in this case you create an A740 relationship. The specific steps to assign the A740 are as follows:
- Execute HRTM_PPOC
- Locate the Organization you want to assign a TMS user to – it could the top level org unit – or a specific one within the Entire Org structure. Based on where the user is assigned they will only be allowed to see Talent information for the Orgs they are assigned to. You can be assigned to multiple Organizations.
- Double click on the Organization you want to assign the user to
- Click on the Person Responsible Tab
- Click on the Add (+) icon
- The system will then prompt you for a Position (remember, this is a position to Org Relationship)
- You can use the standard OM search to find a person, and then select their position.
- Once you have it assigned, you need to Save the Assignment using the Save icon.
- In order for the new assignment to take effect, and for the Portal iviews to work, you will need to run the TREX Indexing (found via the ESH_COCKPIT transaction). TREX 7.1 Enterprise Search is a requirement for most of the TM functionality in EP4.
- Once the Index’ have been rebuilt, the user can , if assigned the proper Portal based Role, execute Talent Searches, conduct Talent Meetings etc.
The TMS functionality in EP4 is something that clients have been asking for awhile and the Organizational Development groups (OD) really need as it is key to using SAP to drive your Career and succession planning. HRTM_PPOC transaction contains a wealth of functionality not mentioned here, but it is the prescribed method for creating the Responsible for Relationship. By default, the ASP system will not allow you to create this relationship via PO13. The thinking behind this is that Talent Information usually is “owned” by the HR department or a specific people focused group, and by having this functionality seperate from your Organization Managment group, the risk of confidential or potentially sensitive information being seen in the system is reduced. Typically your OM group is not involved in your Career and Succession planning or Talent Management efforts.
Within SAP EP4, the Talent Management Specialist role delivers alot of functionality out of the box, in addition, SAP delivers another role, the Talent Developement specialist role as well. These are both portal roles and security roles – and since they are delivered standard, the opportunity to rapidly roll out the new functionlity contained in the TM suite is possible.