In any SAP HCM implementation, as a Consultant or as a Customer, you may have run into one or more of the following situations:
- A recent transport has overwritten the changes that were transported a few months ago. (I am working on this issue with my customer as I am blogging.)
- Table entries are missing from Production even though the transports seem to have moved through different environments without any hiccups.
- You want to do a Wage Type table comparison between two environments.
- You are going live and would like to find out the best way to validate the configuration tables in Production client against the pristine QA (or Golden Client).
To meet any of the above needs, SAP has provided a very useful tool called Customizing Cross-Client Viewer.
In simple language, it can be called a Client Comparison Tool. The transaction code to access this tool is SCU0*. As most of us know, everything we see in SAP is stored in tables (both Master Data & Customizing). This utility will help a user in comparing the contents of a table in Client A against the contents of the same table in Client B**. Here is the initial screen of this utility:
The options in Section 1 allow the user to Delete previously saved comparison runs, obtain an Overview of all the comparison runs, Run a New Comparison, or do it in Background. In Section 2, you can choose what you would like to compare. Ability to choose the nodes in IMG to run the comparison makes it easy for those functional consultants who do not feel comfortable with memorizing the table names. You can also run the comparison for Application Components, specific Transports or if you have enough technical knowledge, just choose the Manual Selection option. The third section shown above will enable you to recall a saved comparison run and then rerun it or edit it.
Below is a quick illustration on how to use this utility to compare a Wage Type table in two clients and list the differences.
1. Go to transaction code SCU0 S
2. Select SAP Reference IMG option and click on Create button.
3. Choose Select Activities in the pop up screen. You will be directed to the IMG screen where you can select the nodes for which you would like to run the comparison. Hit the OK button on top left corner.
4. An important task in the next screen is to identify the client against which you are comparing the client you are running comparison from. The comparison is possible ONLY if there is an RFC Connection setup between the two clients. Visit transaction code SM59* to configure RFC Connections. Is this sounding too complex? Then, ask your BASIS.
6. The first column shown above is an indicator that gives you an instant overview of the comparison. The adjacent 4 fields provide the metrics around how many differences are present between the clients.
10. There are other functionalities available within this utility such as filters, display statistics, customizing the List Settings etc.
If you are a functional expert with a knack in technical skills too, then jump right away into transaction code SCMP** which is a shorter and much quicker version of the above utility. It bypasses many details that may seem unnecessary sometimes.
* User needs specific authorizations to access these transactions or tools.
** An RFC Connection is mandatory for both the Comparison Tools indicated in this article.