One of my favorite transaction codes that comes in handy when fighting an unruly organizational structure is the NEW END DATE TOOL (Transaction code: RE_RHGRENZ4). I have used this standard SAP transaction so many times to bail myself out of a jam, I try to share it with anyone OM user that will stop long enough to listen. This tool can be used to delimit or un-delimit positions, org unit, jobs, and any additional OM objects by changing the end date for some or all infotypes. It is a powerful tool and should only be used by trained (and focused) users and should always be run in test mode first.
How to run it:
- Using the SAP Easy Access menu navigate to the “New end date” tool or type transaction code RE_RHGRENZ4 into the transaction box and click enter.
- The Set New End Date selection screen will show. The tool sets a new delimitation date for the records found using the selection screen.
- Enter the correct plan version, object type, object id and object status. (In this example we will be changing the end date of a position in the current plan in the active status.)
- Select the date range that corresponds to the date that the infotypes that are to be extended or delimited exist. Note: If the Position is being un-delimited, the date range should begin prior to the date it was originally delimited. If you are trying to delimit something the date selection should be prior to the delimit date. (In this example the position was delimited 6/15/2009, so using the key date, the date 6/14/09 is selected.)
- To access the correct selection of records, you must enter the existing end date and the new end date. All infotype records with the same existing end date will be given the new end date entered. All records with other end dates (i.e. historical records) will remain unchanged. (In this example the position was delimited effective 6/14/2009, but it should have the end date of 12/31/9999. )
- If you wish the change just specific infotypes/subtypes or exclude specific infotypes/subtypes from the date change (i.e. holder relationship) specify the Infotypes and subtypes in the corresponding fields. Multiple values and ranges are permitted using the multiple selection button . Note: Unless specific infotypes are selected, all infotypes with the corresponding end dates will be changed. (Since this position was delimited in error, all infotypes that existed 6/14/2009 should be restored to the new end date of 12/31/9999, so no infotypes or subtypes are selected.)
- The default options are set to “Delete records with start date after delimit date”, “Lock objects”, “Display delimited objects” and “Test”. It is highly recommended that these defaults are not changed when the tool is initial executed. These defaults will allow you to run the tool in test mode and view any records impacted current and future dated prior to committing the change.
- Once all selections have been created, execute the tool by clicking the execute icon.
- Review results.
- Use the green arrow, to return to selection screen.
- Adjust selection criteria as necessary if results did not match desired changes. (Ex. Not all infotypes/subtypes should be changed, or new end date was incorrect.) And Re-execute in test mode. Repeat as necessary.
- Once results run in test mode match desired results, remove the “Test” option in the Report-Specific settings and execute the tool by clicking the execute icon .
- Review results. Changes displayed have been committed to the system.
Whether you need to get rid of old vacant positions, are looking to get rid of a old org structures after a re-org or divestiture, extending the validity dates of your job catalog, or whether you are merely fixing an object you accidentally delimited, the NEW END DATE TOOL can be a OM person’s best friend.